SOlo Performance Competition
Thursday, July 12, 2018 in Benson Great Hall, Bethel University
**If you wish to be considered for any masterclass, you must arrive on Wednesday, July 11th to audition on Thursday, July 12th, 2018.
Please note: The link below is for last year's competition rules. Updated info for 2018 will be coming soon.
Students may choose to audition for our Chopin Solo Competition Prize! Audition Requirements include 7-15 minutes of Chopin Literature to be included in total audition time of either 15 minutes of Junior Division or 20 minutes of Senior Division.
First Prize: $1,000 and Full Tuition Scholarship for YAWPF 2018.
Second Prize: $500 and Full Tuition Scholarship for YAWPF 2018.
Finalists will perform in the Honors Recitals.
1. Guest Artist MastercLAss
The Guest Artist Masterclass is an important highlight for all. Artistic thoughts and musical principles of our internationally acclaimed guest artist, Spencer Myer will be shared with all attendees. The class will be held on stage in Benson Great Hall with the chosen pianists performing for Mr. Myer.
2. Honors Recital
The Honors Recital features several of the Young Artist World Piano Festival's finest performers in an hour-long piano 'Extravaganza'! Some of the greatest pieces in the piano repertoire will be performed by these young artists, chosen in the competition at the beginning of the Festival. Separate recitals will be held for the two groups: Junior Division: "12 & under" and Senior Division: "12 & over".
3. Faculty Masterclasses
Two masterclasses will be given by our Special Guest Faculty, Seymour Bernstein, and three additional masterclasses will be presented by the Artist Faculty. Totaling fifteen students, three will perform for each of the two-hour long masterclasses occurring throughout the duration of the festival.
Individual selection of a performance-ready recital piece chosen from the following minimum audition requirements:
Ages 12 & Under – 15 minute program of at least 2 pieces from 2 or more style periods.
Ages 12 & Over – 20 minute program of at least 2 pieces from 2 or more style periods.
1) Age for competitions is based upon age on the first day of the Festival (July 12, 2018)
2) All music for auditions must be memorized.
3) Students may audition for all competitions. However, in the event that a student wins the Concerto Competition and was earlier selected to perform in the Guest Artist Masterclass, an alternate will replace them for the Guest Artist Masterclass since both of these performances occur on the same day. The Concerto winner may be chosen to perform in a masterclass taking place later in the week.
4) No student will be allowed to audition for Thursday competitions without the minimum repertoire requirements outlined above.
Thursday, July 12th in Benson Great Hall - audition times will be determined prior to Festival and all participants will be notified via e-mail.
1. Guest Artist Masterclass with Spencer Myer:
Sunday, July 15th, 4:00 pm
2. Honors Recital
Tuesday, July 17th, 7:30 pm for Junior Division: "12 & Under" winners
Thursday, July 19th, 7:30 pm for Senior Division: “12 & Over” winners
3. Faculty Masterclasses:
*All performances will be held in Benson Great Hall.
**The decision of the judges is final and they reserve the right to limit the amount played during an audition.